Recognized by most insurers
The GardeFeu certification allows you to demonstrate to the various parties involved (insurance, firefighters, venue, client) that you are an artist who takes safety seriously. This certification is recognized by most insurers working with fire artists.
A competency card with photo is issued. The various parties involved can contact GardeFeu to obtain the status of an artist presenting them with a GardeFeu competency card.
What is it?
The Fire Artist Card comes in two versions. The senior endorsement is added for performers with more than 3 years of professional performing experience or more than 20 professional performances. A professional show is defined as an insured event with a fire department permit where the artist has performed as a fire artist. Festival fire jams are not considered professional performances.
Who is it for?
If you are not yet at the stage of performing, you do not need this card.
If your insurer asks for proof of successful completion of the GardeFeu safety course, you must present this card.
As far as fire artist insurance is concerned, we recommend
Vézina Insurance Inc, a Marsh & McLennan Agency, LLC company
Certification demonstrates a level of professionalism in the fire artist's safe fire arts practices and safe attitude for self and others.
- Successful completion of the Course 101 Safety in fire arts
- No history of problematic behavior with fire
- No history of unsafe behaviour with fire
- No history of impaired behaviour with fire
- No history of problematic behaviour at shows
An artist who does not meet these criteria may have his or her file re-evaluated annually by a committee of experts.
- The card must be renewed every 3 years and costs $75.
- At the time of application you must send us a passport style photo where your face is recognizable (not in character).
- It can take up to 30 days to receive your card by mail but we can validate your status directly with your insurer in case of emergency.